Satellite
  • Day 254

    Day 255: South to Czechia

    October 27, 2017 in Czech Republic ⋅ 🌧 8 °C

    Time to leave Poland! We've quite enjoyed our time here, everyone has been really friendly and it's been surprisingly easy to travel as most people can speak at least a little English. Just the road signs that pose problems! We didn't have to check out until 11am and we actually didn't have that much to do today, so we didn't hurry out or anything.

    Our host met us at 11am and collected the keys, then we hit the road. By the time we'd exited the garage, shuffled through the city traffic and re-routed slightly away from a big freeway delay up ahead it was nearly midday. Stopped again to pick up a resupply of dog food, then stopped another time for petrol. Figured that we might as well have lunch too since McDonalds was right there, so we did! Managed to spend the last of our zloty which will be no use once we cross the border.

    It was quite a long drive - about 2 hours on the freeway south-east back across Poland, then southwards on another freeway into Czechia heading towards Brno. You might notice I keep referring to it as Czechia - that's the correct name for the country, it was changed from Czech Republic in 2012. Somehow it's just completely failed to catch on.

    Arrived in Olomouc around 3:30pm, still with a couple of hours before check-in time. So we did our obligatory UNESCO site, probably the smallest one we will ever visit. It's a column in a square. A monumental column, sure, about 35 metres high and covered in baroque sculpture, but a column nonetheless. Did our filming and had a look around the nice old town before heading to our apartment.

    Quite small and compact but enough for what we need. Only drawback is that it's on the top floor, with no lift. 9 flights of stairs, 9 steps each. Quite a few! Headed out for dinner in the evening to a popular brewpub where we had great food - I had a cordon bleu type thing while Shandos had an enormous boar knuckle. Two good meals, a large beer, a wine and an entree set us back the equivalent of about 22 euros - food is definitely cheap here.

    Hurried home as it had started raining and I don't have an umbrella. Shandos arrived nice and dry after our 10 minute walk; me, less so.
    Read more