Satellite
  • Day 334

    Day 335: Exploring Genoa

    January 15, 2018 in Italy ⋅ 🌧 6 °C

    Time to see what's up with Genoa's World Heritage site. It's known as the Strade Nuovo and the Palazzi dei Rolli, where during one of the city's rich and powerful eras, a bunch of enormous palazzos (mansions( were constructed on the edges of the medieval sea port area. They were added to a roll system (the rolli), where they would be used as lodgings and temporary homes for city guests. This could be anyone from a foreign businessman, a merchant, dignitary, diplomat, right up to an emperor or pope.

    So we set out for a wander! Most of the buildings are concentrated along a couple of streets, the via Garibaldi and the via Balbi. It was quite challenging to film since the streets were narrow and busy with traffic (this was largely outside the pedestrian-only area), but it was still quite interesting to see.

    Since it was Monday, quite a few of the main palaces were closed so we couldn't go inside, including the Palazzo Real (Royal Palace) which is supposed to be one of the nicest ones. Oh well.

    But we did manage to talk our way inside one of them which had decorations from the era still remaining, though these days it was used for some sort of government building. It was crazy to see a conference room decorated like Versailles, all baroque gilded mirrors and resplendent frescoes, but then decked out with office chairs and teleconferencing equipment! Quite a contrast!

    Headed back down into the old seaport area for lunch where we found a great little local place in a back alley. Did the typical Italian thing of a pasta plate followed by a main which were both excellent. I had ravioli in soup for my first course, though I've forgotten my second course, whoops.

    Walked around a bit more and did some exploring. Christopher Columbus was a native of Genoa and his "house" is still preserved on the edge of the old town. I put it in quote marks because there's not really any proof he was born or grew up in that particular house. It's just a really old house in the general area, maybe even the right street.

    A bit more wandering in the afternoon then headed home where we cooked pasta for dinner.
    Read more