Satellite
  • Day 393

    Day 394: Back to Gibraltar

    March 15, 2018 in Gibraltar ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    Back on the mainland and time to get busy. Left our hotel in Malaga and drove a couple of hours down the coast to Gibraltar. Although I'd visited here almost exactly 12 months ago, I hadn't visited the World Heritage site and Shandos hadn't visited at all, so we might as well revisit.

    Parked in the same lot as last time, crossed the border on foot and then caught a bus across the runway into town. The world heritage site is right at the tip of the peninsula, so we caught a second bus down to the area. Miserable weather, intermittent rain though not as heavy as it had been on the way down.

    The site is actually some caves underneath the Rock that have really changed our understanding of Neanderthals who lived in the caves 50,000 years ago. Back then it was over a coastal plain, as the sea levels were much lower (ice age and all that).

    We had a look at the caves from the viewing platforms, filmed a bit, and had a 30 minute chat/presentation from a museum worker which was quite interesting. But otherwise there wasn't much to see, so we hopped back on the bus and headed into town. Did a little wandering, had some fish & chips at an Irish pub and then got the bus back across the border.

    Into the car where we drove a couple of hours north to Seville where we had a hotel for the next two nights. Was a bit tricky finding the hotel since it was down some narrow streets and the parking was actually two blocks away, but we made it in the end.

    Both quite tired after a long day of driving so we just went to a small tapas restaurant nearby. Nice to be back in Seville where our journey started, particularly since it's a city we both really enjoyed!
    Read more