Satellite
  • Day 409

    Day 410: Exploring Avignon

    March 31, 2018 in France ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    Up and out early again this morning, walking into Avignon. The historic centre of town is on the World Heritage list for two main reasons - the old bridge, and Pope's Palace. During the 13th century, for political rather than religious reasons, the Pope was based right here in Avignon. Mainly because the French kings didn't like Italians having influence over their subjects, and so schemed to get a series of French Popes elected.

    While the Papacy was based here in Avignon, they constructed an enormous "palace" but which is really more of a of a fortress - either way it's very impressive. There's also a nearby cathedral, and of course both are just adjacent to the bridge across the Rhone as well. We did a bunch of filming, though opted against going inside the palace since firstly dogs aren't allowed, but also because several people had commented that it was pretty bare and empty inside and vastly overpriced for what it was. And no photos of course.

    So we skipped! But we had an interesting day wandering around the old town. It was Easter Saturday so fairly quiet, but French people generally seem less religious than in other parts of Europe (eg Spain, Italy, even Germany) so it was still quite busy.

    Had a delicious lunch at a creperie which had really good reviews and deservedly so - a ham cheese and egg crepe for main and a sugar & lemon crepe for dessert. I know crepes aren't local food (they originally hail from Brittany), but they're pretty ubiquitous in France (almost as much as kebabs!). Finished off our filming by early afternoon and headed home to relax and get a bit of work done - the internet connection in our apartment is blazing fast and we intend to make use of it!
    Read more