Satellite
  • Day 415

    Day 416: Routes of the Cevannes

    April 6, 2018 in France ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Long day of driving today. We packed up and left Avignon, and headed north-west into the countryside. Our main task for the day was to drive through the national park of the Cevennes, a fairly vague World Heritage area. This was listed for several millennia of agro-pastoralism, where traditional ways of life such as droving and sheep-herding still took place.

    It was interesting countryside, lots of canyons, but not much evidence of pastoralism that we could see. Stopped at a few various dramatic scenery points and filmed what we could, but it's probably going to be quite a short video.

    By mid-afternoon we'd made it through the national park and emerged near the town of Millau, home to the famous Millau Viaduct, the tallest bridge in the world. Running for 2.5km, and with spires up to 350m about the ground, it's certainly an impressive sight. We paid the 8.50 euro toll, had a quick wander through the visitor's centre and then up to the lookout point. Took some photos then headed back to the car where we drove across the bridge, then the long way around back down into Millau town.

    We were staying the night in a budget hotel on the outskirts which was a bit tired and worn, but we're only here for a few hours so no big drama. Had dinner at a nearby chain restaurant called Buffalo Grill - I had a burger with blue cooked beef, tasty!
    Read more