Satellite
  • Day 429

    Day 430: Mont San Michel

    April 20, 2018 in France ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Off and out nice and early, time to see Mont San Michel, one of the most famous sights in France outside of Paris! In a nice touch, we'd realised they offer a kennel service - dogs are allowed on the island but not in the abbey (which is the main sight), but not allowed on the shuttle buses that take you to the island (which means you have to walk the couple of kilometres out there).

    But we dropped Schnitzel in the kennel, where he seemed happy enough. Got the bus out to the island and started filming. It's very impressive, and you can really see how it's been built up over the centuries - the abbey on top is from the 11th century. We wandered around the few streets (it has a permanent population of 44), climbed around the walls, then went up to the abbey.

    It's not the most impressive abbey we've been inside over the last year and a bit, but certainly one of the most impressive technical achievements! We spent about an hour here exploring and filming, then headed back down into the town.

    As you'd expect, almost all of the buildings are now expensive shops and comically overpriced restaurants (even the takeaway restaurants were double the usual price), so we hopped back on the shuttle around 1pm and picked up Schnitzel. He was happy to be out of the kennel, but it was really nice of them to have that facility available. There were signs in the carpark warning that they will break windows to free overheating pets on hot days, so it makes sense.

    We headed back into the village near our B&B and had regular priced sandwiches from the boulangerie, then headed home for the afternoon. I did some work and Shandos had a nap!
    Read more