Satellite
  • Day 450

    Day 451: Shandos's Birthday

    May 11, 2018 in France ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Shandos's birthday today! I gave her a card and cooked her breakfast in bed, scrambled eggs and toast. Not especially salubrious but when you're in each other's company 24/7 and in a different place every few days there's not a lot else you can do!

    For her birthday she wanted to explore the town of Colmar, so that's what we did! It's a pretty little town with lots of narrow streets, winding canals and colourful half-timbered houses. Found a nice little restaurant and had a three-course lunch that Shandos's parents had offered to pay for. Fairly typical local food apparently, we had a set menu of tuna wrap on salad, a large piece of grilled pork, then a nougat ice-cream thing for dessert - very tasty.

    Afterwards we headed out of town to nearby Riquewihr, another pretty little town. This didn't have a canal but it did have plenty of half-timbered houses and lots of nearby vineyards too! And an awful lot of tourists as well, sadly, but it was still quite nice. Home around 6pm where we crashed pretty quickly, only time for a quick dinner of spatzl, a type of egg noodle common to this area.
    Read more