Satellite
  • Day 454

    Day 455: Flying to Denmark

    May 15, 2018 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Possibly the most stressful day we've had since leaving Australia. Although we'd initially planned for me to take my huge backpack into the embassy for my license appointment, we realised they might not let me bring it in for security reasons. So all of us headed in!

    Thankfully it was a 30 minute single train ride from just near the hotel, to the street across from the embassy (literally in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower). We were about 45 minutes early, but had no problems getting in. Waited around in an empty room before the guy called my name at 10:30, so 15 minutes early.

    Got everything done with no problems, and even managed to nab a free postage envelope! So now the clock was ticking - it was just on 11am, and our flight check-in was closing at 12:40pm. There was a direct airport bus leaving from nearby, but when we got to the stop we realised it was 18 euros each - a complete rip-off.

    So in the end we got back on the train to the stop right next to our hotel, then got an Uber for the last 15 minutes. Took a bit of back and forth to finally find the check-in desk, since at Orly they have several halls and although your flight might be in Hall 3 the check-in could be elsewhere (and was, in our case).

    But we checked in OK with no line, scoffed a quick McDonalds lunch and then went through an agonisingly slow security queue. Popped out the other side as boarding was being called and went straight down onto the bus out to the plane. Plane was only half full and we had a huge amount of empty seats around us, so we stretched out (at least neither of us had Schnitzel under our feet!).

    Flight was two hours, and we arrived in a new country at around 4pm. Two trains across to the north of Copenhagen had us in the right suburb, but since our Airbnb wouldn't be ready until 6pm we spent an hour or so sitting in a nearby park. Eventually we headed over and checked in - it's quite a nice apartment, with plenty of space though quite bare. The girl who owns it is moving out soon.

    Shandos headed to the supermarket, bought some supplies which we ate and then pretty much went to bed not long after that. Pretty epic and stressful day. I never really enjoy the long travelling days, particularly since I've got a 20kg backpack on my back, a 7kg backpack on my front, and another 7kg of dog and bag at the end of one arm!
    Read more