Satellite
  • Day 461

    Day 462: Across to Sweden

    May 22, 2018 in Sweden ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Long day today! Left our apartment in Esbjerg on the western coast of Denmark and drove eastwards to the town of Christiansfeld. This is a world heritage town that's a Moravian settlement - a Lutheran community, essentially. They moved here to avoid persecution and designed their "perfect" town. Arranged around the church, there's family housing, and also separate apartment blocks for widows, spinsters and bachelors. It was a quaint little spot, fairly well preserved, and we had it to ourselves until a bus load of German pensioners turned up. We grabbed a hot dog from the kiosk and bailed.

    Several hours of driving eastwards across Denmark, we arrived back at Copenhagen airport around 4pm and dropped the car off, then caught the train directly into Sweden. It's funny, since Sweden is right there just on the other side of a bridge, so the train runs every 20 minutes. After about 30 minutes on the train, we were in Malmo!

    Short walk to our apartment where we were again staying in someone's spare room. She wasn't there but had left the keys at a nearby shop, so we were able to let ourselves in (earlier that day she'd tried to reschedule us for 8pm!!!!). Eventually she got home at 10pm and we had a brief conversation.
    Read more