Satellite
  • Day 532

    Day 533: Kutna Hora

    August 1, 2018 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Today we did a day-trip out to Kutna Hora, our second-last World Heritage site in Czech Republic. It's about an hour from Prague, and it's funny because it's also one of the most-visited spots in the country. But the reason everyone goes there isn't because of the World Heritage site! This is where you find the famous "bone ossuary", an underground chapel decorated entirely with the bones of human skeletons. There's apparently between 40,000 and 70,000 skeletons down there so it's quite an odd spot.

    But I digress. Since it's so busy and it was another scorcher we decided to head early, on the 8am train from Prague central. Arrived around 9, caught the transfer into the old town and explored the World Heritage site. Some nice buildings including a magnificent cathedral. This city was once the heart of the European silver trade and was extremely rich - until one of the biggest mines flooded, at about the same time as silver from the Americas was being imported en masse.

    But we wandered and filmed, checking out various things. We'd left Schnitzel behind since we wanted to get it done as quick as possible and that proved to be a good decision. Also trying a slightly different style of presenting - a bit more emotion and a bit less wikipedia. Will see how it goes!

    We also visited the bone ossuary, crowded though it was, and filmed a short clip even though it's not part of the UNESCO area. Yep, it's pretty creepy but not as bad as you might think. Caught a 2pm train back to Prague and headed home. Went back to the Vietnamese place for dinner again, though this time there was only one worker - poor girl was trying to wait tables and cook at the same time! Eventually a Vietnamese family from Germany ended up helping her out, fetching drinks from the fridge, shuffling plates around and the like. Quite funny.
    Read more