Satellite
  • Day 568

    Day 569: Nessebar

    September 6, 2018 in Bulgaria ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Today was a day trip to the town of Nessebar, about two hours south of Varna. It's a small rocky peninsula that's been an important city for millennia. It was home to Thracians, then Greeks, then Romans, later Byzantines, Ottomans, and of course the Bulgarians. There's some great history here, lots of churches and some of the fortifications too.

    We wandered around for a while, had a great lunch on a terrace over the water, then Shandos and Schnitzel had a little paddle in the water. Schnitzel has taken quite a liking to digging in the soft sand at the water's edge, though he's definitely not a fan of deep water!

    Checked out more of the town, and went in two of the best churches with nice frescoes. By mid afternoon it was time to leave and so we headed back to the car and drove back to Varna.

    Not the end of the day though, as we were meeting a group of fellow World Heritage Site enthusiasts. We're part of a website community and their annual meeting this year was in Varna, so we headed back into town and found the restaurant to meet up with everyone. Most people already knew each other, but were quite friendly and welcoming. 15 people from I think 10 different countries - all European except us and one guy from Canada. Generally a bit older than us, though I think I'm the youngest. We've got two days ahead of us, hopefully it's not too weird or awkward!
    Read more