Satellite
  • Day 6

    Flying Visit to Philadelphia

    October 24, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Up early heading for Penn Station where we caught an Amtrak train heading for Philadelphia. Arrived at midday and caught an Uber to our Airbnb where we were able to check in early. The main reason for visiting here was the World Heritage site of Independence Hall, which is one of the key spots in early American history.

    Philadelphia was once the largest city in north America with around 30,000 people, and it was basically at the centre of the colonies which stretched along the coast from Maine to South Carolina. So it's not surprising that it was here the First and Second Continental Congresses were held; at the end of which came the Declaration of Independence. After the war, it was also an important spot, as the Constitutional Convention met here and hammered out the Constitution as well.

    The hall itself is fairly small, though the tour was quite interesting and well run, so we both enjoyed it. Once again we took turns as dogs weren't permitted inside naturally. Schnitzel amused himself by barking and getting extremely agitated at squirrels, which were in abundance.

    By the time we'd finished our tours it was around 5:30pm so we wrapped up filming and walked a few blocks to the main city area. Had a philly cheesesteak sandwich each for dinner (a famous local dish which is just a long roll, filled with strips of marinated beef, onions, capsicum and bright orange cheese). Very tasty.

    Headed back to our room and chilled out - moving on again tomorrow!
    Read more