Satellite
  • Day 21

    Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Page

    November 8, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Left Williams and drove north, around the eastern edge of the Grand Canyon, heading up towards Utah. Our destination for the day was Page, right in the north of the state and just near Lake Powell.

    First stop was Antelope Canyon, a tiny slot canyon that's become famous for its flowing lines and beautiful colours. We'd been a bit concerned about getting in, but the two tour operators both had space for us within 20 minutes and off we went! It was a great experience, walking through a tiny narrow canyon, not much more than a foot wide in many places, but 10-20 metres high at the same time! It's made of sandstone that's been worn smooth by flooding, and in addition to the beautiful orange shades it also has lots of flowing lines and beautiful curves. Great for photos.

    After our tour finished we drove back out of town to Horseshoe Bend, another spot that's popular on the Instagram circuit. It's a large U-shaped bend in the Colorado River, with deep canyon walls and a lovely blue colour to the water.

    Unfortunately for us it didn't look quite as good since the winter sun meant there wasn't much light on the water. A cool spot, but not somewhere I'd go out of my way to visit again. Leaving here we drove back into Page and had Denny's for lunch - our first time here. Colossal servings of diner-style food, I had pancakes while Shandos had waffles I think. Tasty, but too much.

    After this we just headed to our hotel nearby and relaxed for the afternoon - we'd earned it after several busy days!
    Read more