Satellite
  • Day 32

    Ahmedabad Old City

    February 15, 2019 in India ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Today's WHS was the Old City in Ahmedabad. The most notable feature of it were the wooden house neighbourhoods, known as pols. We'd had recommendations to do a walking tour, so that's what we did - a local showed us and about 30 friends around for a couple of hours early in the morning, before the city got too busy.

    Quite a few interesting details and places we never would've gone to otherwise, so it was absolutely a worthwhile effort! The only downside was that since we started at 8am, the tour took two hours and our entire day was done just after 10am! We retreated to the hotel (quite a nice room though the front desk staff are hopeless) and chilled out for a while.

    For the afternoon we headed out to the Gandhi Ashram, a sort of school/commune thing established by Gandhi in 1917. He lived here for about 15 years, and was originally from not too far away though not Ahmedabad itself. Lots of information about Gandhi, his life, his work, and of course the ashram itself. Fairly pleasant spot with lots of trees, overlooking the river etc.

    Had a fast food style lunch nearby, then headed home and relaxed for the afternoon/evening.
    Read more