Satellite
  • Day 25

    Back to Malaysia & Ipoh

    July 23, 2019 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Super long day today, lucky we'd rested up! Had our breakfast and left the hotel in a taxi at 8am bound for the airport. Our first flight since arriving in Hanoi three weeks ago. Just a small airport so we breezed through the formalities and boarded the flight to Bangkok - a short leg of about 1 hour.

    About two hours to wait in Bangkok where we found some early lunch at a food court. Prices were crazy for Thailand but we managed to find something reasonable and use up the last of our baht. Again a fairly standard flight from Bangkok to KL, though the plane landed very roughly, with an almighty thud. Probably the hardest landing I've ever had!

    Immigration into Malaysia took ages for some reason; normally it's quite fast but today we had to wait about 30 minutes. We'd also lost an hour to time zones, so it was now late afternoon. Got the bus from KLIA2 into KL Sentral where we discovered that the next train to Ipoh wasn't until 7:40pm - about 90 minutes away! So we had some dinner in the food court at KL Sentral to kill time.

    The train was late arriving and didn't actually depart the station until about 8pm. We thought it'd be fine for a 2.5 hour run up to Ipoh, but on the outskirts of KL we stopped and waited, and waited .. and waited. There had been some issue with the tracks a few days earlier and so they could only run a single line in one part. Ultimately it meant a delay of three hours, where we basically just sat there doing nothing the whole time! So it was about 1:30am by the time we finally arrived in Ipoh.

    Decided not to trust the taxi drivers hanging around the station at that time of night, so we walked the 20 minutes to our hotel which thankfully had self check-in. Finally to bed at 2am - a very long day!
    Read more