Satellite
  • Day 3

    Day 3 - Letcombe Regis to Goring

    October 9, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    So up that hill again to the Ridge!
    Heading East past the odd tumulus and on to the Lord Wantage Monument! A Monument to some chap , a founding father of the Red Cross and Crimean soldier and VC winner !

    It’s a big horse riding area , lots of gallops!

    Past Scutchamer Knob - an odd earthwork , one of the biggest Anglo Saxon knobs ! The Knob is nowhere near has prominent as it might once have been: situated within a stand of trees and only crescent shape following early 20th-century archaeological excavations that suggested it dated to the Iron age, and earlier excavations to quarry soil to fertilise surrounding fields. It would have originally been a conical, flat-topped mound c. 43m in diameter!

    Past West and East Ilsley and a view of Harwell - the atomic energy research place - the biggest chimney around too! Just as think the hills are gone I surprise or am surprised by a fox - he doesn’t move so I guess he’s not surprised !

    Past Lowbury Hill and its Roman temple - which is hard to see !

    Onto Streatley which is just over half way on the Ridgeway ! The Bull pub where “Three men in a boat “ supposedly had lunch and down to the River Thames- time for a beer as only a mile to go .

    I had some odd business meetings here in the The Swan - a long time ago - and hired their odd small six person barge - which took us upstream to Brunel’s GWR bridge over the river - impressive !

    Goring for the night ! Just as weather turns!
    It’s got an interesting Norman church with one of the oldest bells in Britain - 1290!
    Read more