Satellite
  • Day 18

    Darwin's Crocosaurus Cove

    August 28, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Today we went to Crocasaurus Cove in Darwin's city centre. Joe had been really looking forward to taking part in the Cage of Death experience but they were booked out for the time we were in Darwin. The Cage of Death is where up to two people are in a thick perspex cylinder which is lowered into a pen with a 5m+ crocodile for a safe close encounter.

    Instead we booked in for the VIP tour which gave us all the opportunity to take part in some unique experiences. On arrival we had a little time and were able to watch one of the Cage of Death experiences. Any disappointment on missing out soon disappeared as we watched the keepers try repeatedly to get a huge croc to move into the water at all. The people doing the experience looked quite disappointed.

    When the tour started we were introduced to and given a bit of history on the big crocs at the centre and looked at some 12 month old babies throws unique viewing area where you could put your head up into domes to see the babies close up. Then we were able to take our turn feeding a massive 5.3m croc called Burt who stared in Crocodile Dundee 1 and the movie Rogue.

    We then moved onto feeding some of the centre's smaller crocs and hold one of the 12 month old crocs we saw earlier. After this we were passed over to one of the centre's Reptile keepers for some hands on experience with some more reptiles and a look at the impressive displays they had.

    After the end of the tour Joe and the kids took part in the free Swim with the Crocs experience with a small swimming pool with Perspex walls against the pool of small crocodiles we fed earlier. Research paid off with this one. So many people stopped and watched having no idea that if they had brought their swimmers and towels it was one of the free activities they could take part in.

    After a quick trip back to the van to shower and change we headed to Crustaceans on the warf for dinner on the harbour as the sun set which was very good then a stop at the Hard Rock Icecreamery for dessert on the way back to the van.
    Read more