Satellite
  • Day 41

    Looking around Airlie Beach

    September 20, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    We woke up to a beautifully sunny morning. The girls went to the petting zoo feeding at 10am and were able to bottle feed a lamb and calf. They weren't as interested in the ducks and chickens. Then we went to have a look around.

    We drove into Airlie and parked near the Lagoon and walked along the Bicentennial walk along the beach with a view of the stunning Whitsunday blue water and the many yachts mored off shore and then through the Main Street. We had a look in a souvenir shop and bought some dresses and pins then stopped for lunch at the Sidewalk Cafe which was really good!

    We went back down to the Lagoon and sat in a little patch of shade we found while the girls went for a swim. We later found out that the Lagoon was only reopened three weeks ago after the damage from cyclone Debbie forced its closure. You can still see from the state of the trees and the amount of construction fencing throughout the area. I can only imagine what it looked like six months ago.

    We dropped into Best and Less to grab a new sun shirt and swimmers for Lara so obviously that meant they both needed t'shirts, shorts and a dress as well. We ducked into Woolworths to grab a couple of things and headed back to the van.

    The girls headed to the pool one last time and Joe and I sat and chilled out for a little while, trying not to think too much about packing up for the driving day tomorrow. We had quick and easy hotdogs for dinner before the kids headed to the free outdoor movie and we started packing up. Looking forward to an early night!
    Read more