Satellite
  • Day 23

    Lovely Ludlow and Castle Ruins

    September 26, 2017 in England ⋅ 🌫 14 °C

    After a nice breakfast, our gracious hosts showed us the town of Ludlow and its castle. A lovely little town (almost on the border with Wales) with picturesque streets and cute wee shops. A lot of history there.

    We saw the magnificent parish church of St Laurence. Absolutely beautiful building and a delight to wander through. Amazing stained glass windows - more recent than the full, old history but they were stunning.

    Alma ascended the numerous steps to the top with us - quite a height and a quite narrow staircase! A glimpse at the bells inside and then 360° views of the town and countryside. Fantastic time.

    Then it was off to morning tea at the Ludlow Castle tearooms. Radi had delicious coffee while Wade tried the dandelion and burdock juice (kind of like cola but more aniseed-ey). Not bad.

    Refreshed and vitalised, we marched on to Ludlow Castle. Wow. Just wow.

    Imagine an old, semi-ruined ("they should have the roof mended") castle, nestled in the rolling hills, the horizon shrouded in mist. Or just look at a photo below. Anyway, really great to wander through in the steps of so many people who would have been there centuries ago.

    Apparently they used to do outdoor Shakespeare plays in the castle. Would have been an amazing backdrop and setting! Oh and they still do have jousting tournaments and battle renenactments! (Not when we were there sadly).

    The castle has a lot of history. King Arthur (the king before his younger brother Henry VIII) spent time there and also subsequently died there, and it was also where those two princes were taken from to The Tower of London. Chris and Alma were of course fantastic guides and explained so much more (including pointing out the where guns were arrayed during a siege).

    Loved the castle and would highly recommend. Next stop, Crofts Castle (a different type of castle).
    Read more