Satellite
  • Day 23

    Croft Castle and Culmington Cuisine

    September 26, 2017 in England ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    Had lunch at Croft Castle - one of many historic homes maintained by the National Trust. Some of the Croft family still live there. A large manor house that kinda looks like a castle, with a small church and stables. A lot like Olveston, but with no guided tour, just information and things.

    A very interesting mix of old and new (new meaning 19th or 20th century or so). Interesting fact - they built a wall by the servants' quarters so the servants couldn't look down on the family through the inner courtyard. Lots of history of the family members, including a room on the wars and their involvement. Also a square piano and a creepy clock. And cool exhibits to show the effects of touching on gilt wood and fabric.

    Lots of interesting things and a great time. Also bought second hand books. There's an old Roman hill fort up the hill but didn't walk up there this time.

    Followed our trip to Croft Castle with a quick call into a local supermarket in Ludlow (very nice). Also popped into the only church in Britain with a metal spire.

    Had a lovely dinner at The Clive, followed by some much missed QI!
    Read more