Satellite
  • Day 84

    Aground in Granada

    November 26, 2017 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    Woke up at 5 am and made it to airport. Lounge was great - lots of food and drink. Flew to Palma de Mallorca for an hour and then next flight to Granada. Granada airport reminded us a lot of Dunedin airport randomly - similar size and layout, rural setting and we even walked across the tarmac to the terminal in the same orientation. Took the bus to town (there's one bus that leaves after each flight - that's how quiet it is comparatively).

    Arrived and walked uphill through some cute little narrow lanes to our accomodation in Albaicin. House was still being cleaned so we chatted with our very friendly hosts and went for lunch in a nearby plaza. Had a beer and tinto de verano (like sangria - delicious), so got a free tapa of Russian salad (potato salad). Had deep fried anchovies (good but not as good as in Italy) and a paella (OK).

    Back to our accomodation to relax and plan out our stay. Then popped out into the winding maze of streets to grab kebabs and baklava. Checked out Calle Alcaiceria on the way - it's all that is left of what once was the Alcaiceria (the great bazaar markets of Granada). A fire destroyed the original bazaar (which had over 200 shops) in the 19th century. Definitely had the Arabic market place atmosphere to it.

    Really liking Granada so far (and definitely enjoying our rooftop terrace with views of Alhambra and the city).
    Read more