Satellite
  • Day 5

    Days 5 & 6: Pirenopolis

    August 18, 2018 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    The bus arrives in Brasilia at 11.30 a.m., too late for me to catch the bus I had intended but there's plenty of space for a later departure and I am in Pirenopolis by later afternoon. It's a small town of about 20,000 people and a world away from the mayhem of Rio. It was the centre of a gold rush in the 18th century, less famous than the one in Minas Gerais state but there are many old houses, cobbled streets and several lovely baroque churches. At the guest house where I am staying, the girl who checks me in is wearing a T-shirt saying "Strong is the new pretty" in English. I'd better watch my step.

    I may well be the only gringo in town but it being a weekend, there are lots of visitors from Brasilia and they love to rumble by playing thundering drum n' bass. Realising that trying to sleep is pointless, I go outside and listen to a very acceptable three-piece band playing British and American rock songs. And guess what---one of them is Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here."

    RTBC:
    1. No mosquitoes, as in Rio
    2. or muggers (probably)
    3. or rain
    4. or stomach pain, which had afflicted me earlier
    5. finally, a good sleep.

    Sunday lunch is a popular time and I find it at the Santa Dica microbrewery, a welcome change from the usual lagery types what are cold, wet and flavourless. I break my resolution not to have a beer before sundown and this one serves a deliciously fresh peachy brew.
    Read more