Satellite
  • Day 2

    Day 2: Marrakesh to Ouarzazate

    November 29, 2018 in Morocco ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    As is the way, in daylight the prospects are brighter in more ways than one. Downstairs they serve a decent Continental breakfast with French bread, honey and good coffee. I have several hours in hand and use them to fulfil several tasks:

    1. Get some more Moroccan currency at an exchange house. The £ notes have to be in perfect condition to be acceptable.
    2. Onward train ticket for Fez later in the trip, at the neo-Moorish station.
    3. Postcards. It turns out that they take less than a week to reach London!
    4. After the horse has bolted: insect repellent. I don't see, hear or smell a mosquito anywhere else on this trip.
    5. Route march to the medina to check out the street plan for a stay booked later in the trip. Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted!

    Forewarned and forearmed, I return to the airport for the short flight to Ouarzazate (a wonderful place name pronounced "Wr-za-ZAT"). This is a precaution against the road being blocked by snow, although as it turns out there would have been no problem. The view of the Atlas Mountains is spectacular; they form a rain/snow shadow and ensure that Ouarzazate is the gateway to the desert.

    A long argument with the taxi drivers but a short ride to the Hotel Amlal which is modern but built in traditional riad-style with inwards-facing courtyards. The service is helpful and friendly and with a sumptuous room, I have a very comfortable night, with the prospect in the morning of another nice view from the terrace.
    Read more