Satellite
  • Day 33

    Y Wladfa

    March 23, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    We spent a day in Puerto Natales after the trek just sitting around the hostel doing the least possible. Having done the trek we blossomed into advice givers for the few in the hostel that had just arrived.

    A particular young dutch man was set on doing the trek with a ton of food with no equipment to cook it. His plan was to bribe others with choclate to use theirs. We gently advised at least buying a stove as free gas could be found in most campsites if his plan fell through!

    After another long bus journey we've arrived in Puerto Madryn. Here we are lucky enough to be hosted by Maelor and Sonia, a couple who speak Welsh, and have stayed in Eifionydd before whilst visiting Wales. We're staying in one of their lovely flats not far from the seafront. The perfect place to unwind and relax for a couple of days after the first hectic month of travelling.

    Exploring the area we've found a statue commemorating the Welsh settlers and the caves the settlers created as shelter when they first arrived. By the caves we bumped into a couple of Welsh girls from Caernarfon, Gwennan is the girlfriend of Osian from Llanuwchllyn. Byd bach!

    Entering the museum I was delighted to be welcomed in Welsh by the staff member who had only been learning Welsh for 1 month. An interesting museum it have the account of the first few settlers including a murder attempt!

    Afterwards we enjoyed a lovely tea with Maelor and Sonia in their flat overlooking the seafront, and Maelor helped us buy bus tickets onwards to Gaiman due to our pitiful Spanish!
    Read more