Satellite
  • Day 40

    Bariloche- It's time to get active

    March 30, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    With so many lakes around it made sense to get on one so we booked a tour to go kayaking. We joined our lovely guides Natalia and Pablo, and with only one more tourist from London we were pushed off onto lake gutierrez. The person at the front sets the pace when paddling whilst the one in the back steers. We had a few hicups on the way there. My pace setting was erratic, and we crashed into the others a few times as James got his bearings! It was hard to concentrate whilst looking at the surroundings and being battered by wind and waves.

    As I was flagging, we pulled into a beach and were served cheesy rolls, coffee and mate. Natalia explained how to prepare mate and its rules.

    1. The one who prepared the mate must first to drink the mate
    2. Once you have finished the mate you must hand it back to the host, never share with someone else when it's your turn
    3. You must drink at least 2 rounds, or the host will think you did not like their mate
    4. Only say thank you when you've had enough and want to be excused from the round.

    Fully refreshed we headed back, and we swapped roles. We went much faster on the way back and look coordinated in the pictures! Arms aching we spent the night playing cards against a father and daughter duo. Whilst never winning, I was never the shithead either and was accused of cheating!

    Next morning after James did a bit of cajouling we set off to do a bike ride around circuito chico. In its shortened form its around 24km of cycling round a few lakes in the llao llao peninsula. Having not riden a bike in over a decade it was trial by fire as we headed off. Its true what they say...

    The uphills could be tough but the joy of having a few kilometers to speed down while giving my thighs a rest was amazing. We passed the famous llao llao hotel and then stopped by the foot of a trail and hiked up to the top of a steep hill. The panoramic view of lakes, forests and mountains was stunning.

    After James had completed his photoshoot with a posing bird we carried on round the circuit with the goal of reaching a small brewery set up by Patagonian beer. This beer is one of the best we've tasted in Argentina and we have been enjoying it since Buenos Aires. A modern building with good views and a random signpost stating how far Wales was, we were initally ignored by the staff. After 3 attempts we figured out the lay of the land and had 2 very good pale ales and food to fuel the remainder of the journey.

    Starting off again was painful on the bum and thighs! We had a few km left but the road got busier. I nearly fell off the bike once as I lost control and hit gravel but did a miracilous save. It did add a few bruises to my trekking ones. At the end of the day I was glad to hand the bicycle back and enjoy being able to sit in comfort again!

    Next day was a travel day. Buying the renowned choclates before we left towards Chile and Valdivia. This bus had a smelly customer. I don't care how hippy you become as a long term traveller, organic deodrants and soap are easily available. The hostel in Valdivia had a welcoming hostess and a crows nest bed for James. Pucon and the volcano await...
    Read more