Satellite
  • Day 41

    Pucon

    March 31, 2017 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    After an unsettled night the journey to Pucon wasn't much better. From an unknown source (I hope not my own cooking!), I had another stomach bug. However on arrival to Pucon, with blue skies, and a welcoming touristic vibe I felt a little better. To the left of the town towering in the distance stood volcano Villarrica with ice covering its summit. It looked strangely breathtaking on its own, after being used to mountain ranges. It rises up from the surrounding landscape as a big conical monster.

    We continued our streak with really good hostels, this one is called kiwi chili lakefront. Its run by backpackers, with amazing rooms, a small bar, and luckily for us currently a chef! We had booked a private room for my birthday which turned out to be a treehouse!

    On arrival we had a small talk about what to do in Pucon. You could stay here for weeks! Volcano climbs, hiking, hydrospeed, canyoning, horse riding, thermal springs and more! It earns its name as adventure capitol of Chile!

    Hitting the hostel bar for happy hour they had four different types of local beer, including a purple berry beer which they promised was full of antioxidants. I tried it in hope it would help my poor stomach as we watched the sunset over the lake. As it got darker, if you looked at the volcano you could see an orange glow from the top. A reminder that its one of the most active in Chile!

    After a few games of Mafia (A brilliant game that I haven't played aince 6th form!) with the other guests we nodded off in our very cosy treehouse.
    Read more