Satellite
  • Day 65

    Drago D19 La Paz- Prisons and witches

    April 24, 2017 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Wolfing pancakes down for breakfast we headed out into the chaos of La Paz. The streets were already lined with Chollitas (the women in traditional dress) selling their wares. The streets are themed so ine will sell football shirts, the next street willnhave over 20 opticians etc!

    Our 9th walking tour started at Sucre square home to La Paz's famous prison. Built for 500 inmates it now holds 2000 people, including the families of the prisoners. Children can be seen leaving the maingate for school across the square in the morning. Every prisoner must pay for his cell, therefore rich prisoners have spacious cells with plasma screen tvs and even hot tubs. The poor must start a trade within the prison to afford their cell which they could share with up to twelve other prisoners. It used to be possible to tour the prison but these days if you try the prison guards may not let you out without relieving you if your whole holiday budget.

    We walked through different markets including the witches market famous for selling llama fetuses for rituals and love potions to grab your man. In a more modern market we stopped for snacks. We had a yummy fried potato with a meat and egg filling. In the markets Bolivians stick to the same stall currying favor which means the vendor may thrown in freebies like an extra apple when asked.

    After hearing some funny ancedotes about the current Bolivian president (google his quotes) we finished the tour with a shot of orange liqour. Our next stop was the cable car system to get a better view of La Paz. A public transport, the cable cars are becoming La Paz's answer to the underground, connecting the poor towns up on the valley sides to La Paz below. On our line the locals haven't cottened on to the money they could make from the view at the top so we struggled to get the best photo once on the ground due to corrogated iron blocking the panorama.

    Back down in La Paz after a crazy taxi ride we had a brief by Gravity Tours on our bike ride for the next day before we had our goodbye meal in a Lebanese retaraunt. Leaving us in La Paz were the australian pair, John, Sheila and Charlotte. Most will be sorely missed and we've had an amazing time with them the last 3 weeks. It wasn't quite time to say goodbye though as death road was calling!
    Read more