Satellite
  • Day 87

    San Fransisco

    May 16, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    We arrived into San Fransisco just after lunch, driving across Bay bridge we could see golden gate in the distance and the city an ecclectic mix of 20th century buildings and sky scrappers. The air stank of weed having just been legalised in November, and more than a few eccentric homless wandered the streets.

    First thing first was to grab a new phone for James and I bought a pair of jeans to fit in with the locals. As it fell dark we explored china town to find its streets empty apart from the lanterns criss crossing the streets. Stopping to eat at a tripadvisor find we had yummy burgers.

    Next day we hopped onto a cable car (a tram) at its table turn in Powell Street. Vintage looking with staff with colourfull and loud personalities we had fun running up and down the steep San Fransiscan hills down to Fisherman's warf.

    Exploring the wharf area we had a quick look at pier 39 (very touristy) before Brunch in a cafe James loved from a previous visit! Eating quickly we then made our way to pier 33 for a cruise to Alcatraz. A grey misty day the island looked forbidding in the bay.

    Our first place to visit wad the industries building which had a photo exihbition about the last day of the prison. Outside stood a park ranger who gave a hilarious talk about the known escape attempts from the prison. Up the hill a audio tour took you around the prison buildings, past the isolation block, through the "gen pop" blocks to the officer rooms.

    By some miracle we were let off the island and continued to explore the cheap eats around the hostel, this time a slice of pizza which when it came was as big as my head. Supersize US!
    Read more