Satellite
  • Day 109

    Tongariro Alpine Crossing

    June 7, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ -1 °C

    Up at a creaky 06:30 am we shuffled into 6 layers of clothing and our well worn boots ready for another top class hike to tick off. Parking at the end of the hike we grabbed a shuttle with a driver that kept repeating "sweet as" as his company picked up around 150 willing walkers for the day.

    The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a 19.4km walk starting at 1100m, climbing up to 1765m, and then back down to 750m. In winter its closed except if you have a guide. Luckily a big snowfall had yet to materialize, so the path, in good weather, is still open to everyone. With the sun shining and low winds we were good to go according to the DOC (Department of conservation).

    The whole walk goes through a live volcanic area, starting through frosty gorse we went up a valley with old lava flows coming down from the volcanoes below. The Devil's staircase whilst devlish in their steepness did not beat the steep inclines of South America, and the stunning view of mount Doom above keeps you going. The DOC put less than helpful signs at various points. The first bring if there is an eruption you should run for it....

    After taking a few pictures of Mount Doom we continued through the crater with snow crunching underfoot. The next climb up was a ridge with rope chains to help you up the tricky bits (take note Hellvelyn) and at the top you had a panorama for miles and the beautiful green lakes below.

    Now came the tricky bit... volcanic scree all the way down to the lakes. James ran down whilst I took my time skidding every once in a while. At least if you did fall it was a sift landing onto sand. I felt sorry for the girl behind me on some kind of Duke Of Edinburgh type walk with a heavy backpack, she was petrified and needed two people to coax/drag her down.

    Lunch was quickly eaten at the lakes as staying still to long ment the chilly wind made you feel baltic. A quick up to a blue lake then it was down all the way. The snow melted again into bush land with hot springs gushing steam either side. Down into a forest and finally after 6 hours and a half into the car park.

    Back in the hostel after the most glorious hot shower we ordered a pizza from next door, and then headed out with Katy and Alan (a pair from England that had also done the crossing) to watch the Lions play agaisnt the Blues. Even though they lost, it had been a great day, and James' mastermind plan if turning me into a hiker is working bit by bit.
    Read more