Satellite
  • Day 133

    Travellers rest

    July 1, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Rain had finally arrived coating the area in grey dampness. After driving from Oamaru we parked at the end of Lake Pukaki hoping it would clear. It didn't, so we headed to our hostel for the night. More a farmstay we drove 4km off the mainroad to Buscot Station and were welcomed by Tony.

    A retired farmer and widower Tony started the backpackers when times were hard and now enjoys the company of 3000-4000 backpackers a year. A keen traveller Tony had been to the 4 corners of the world usually on farm tours! Uncle Ed would be jealous!

    He had a cosy lounge with a log burner in the middle, El the other guest was already curled up in the sofa with a cup of tea, and in the oppisite chair lay Frank the cat heavily asleep. We joined them with a steaming cup of coffee and photography books of NZ to flick through.

    Supper was had with all around the table including Dave a longterm guest who has been working at the farm on and off for 10 years. Falling asleep we hoped for better weather the next day.

    Setting off the grey clouds were still ever present as we started our drive up to Mt Cook Village. The snow turned to sleet and cars covered in snow passed by. If those cars could leave we hoped we could continue. We hit the snow and it came down fast. We got as far as 10km away from the village before we had to make a retreat.

    A quick phonecall to Tony and we were back in front of his fire along with 4 other stranded by the weather as they closed the roads. Luckily he has Sky TV so with some beers we enjoyed the Lions test match and hoped for cleared roads in the morning.
    Read more