Satellite
  • Day 13

    Across the border and beyond

    February 1, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    As I write this we are sitting in front of a campfire in the visually stunning area outside of Cataviña, Baja California Norte, Mexico.
    It’s been about three weeks since Caroline and I crossed the border for the first time. We have been back through the borders twice since then so are pros now.

    We spent the first two weeks at a golf resort called Bajamar which is located between Tijuana and Ensenada. Lovely place to start our Mexico adventure. Played a few rounds of golf, did a lot of tinkering on the truck and camping STUFF. Lots of runs to Costco, Walmart and Home Depot. There were whale and large dolphin pod sightings daily.

    After leaving the condominium comforts of Bajamar, our first “off grid” destination was a nature preserve on the Pacific coast, about 30 min drive west of the town of San Quintín. Fabulous beach with lots of Pismo clams, stunning sunsets, and dolphins and seals playing in the waves. GREAT long and flat beach for walking and running.

    From there, we headed South about 3 hours on Carretera 1 to the little town of Cataviña. I want to tell you all that I’m not a good passenger in a car “ever”! But I know Caroline has been so patient with me throughout our travels. So she took the wheel. Yikes, she did an amazing job but my heart was in my mouth on this narrow 2-way “not an inch of room for error” stretch of road. With 18 wheelers coming at us with gusto. Not to mention all the crucifixes on the roadside. P.S. Hector RIP.

    While we had grand plans of camping in the desert upon arrival, the charming little hotel was just too inviting. We all checked in, then Derick and Shaun went off-road on their motorbikes and we went off-roading in the truck. The scenery is nothing short of spectacular. Massive sandstone boulders only to be matched by the gigantic Saguaro cactus and all the other crazy thorny plants that grow in this part of the world.

    We only planned to stay 1 night, but we were enjoying ourselves too much (plus having a “real” bed and shower was too nice) that we extended our stay for another night. We tried both the hotel restaurant (great spicy margaritas!) and the little roadside joint across the highway…while the restaurant was good, everyone loved the home-cooking from the little place across the road. Especially their salsa caliente! 🔥🔥

    Today we parted ways—the boys went south and we went in search of the ideal desert campsite. After at least 2 hours, we found a great spot away from it all, but not so far to worry if anything went wrong. Set up camp, befriended the local rook (pistachios!) and scavenged firewood. We’ve finished up our burrito bowls and kicked back in our chairs in front of a fire of cactus wood and a beautiful night sky. Ain’t life grand.
    Read more