Satellite
  • Day 13

    Cape Town!

    December 2, 2015 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    We hopped on a Mango Air flight from Durban to Cape Town. On landing, we saw one of the townships housing around 1.5 million people in metal sheds. The government guarantees housing and running water to all its residents.

    The rental car this time had a manual transmission which made for even more awkwardness/fun while driving. After checking in at the hotel, we headed to the Victoria & Alfred (V&A) waterfront and from there boarded a sightseeing bus, per recommendation. The city of Cape Town is absolutely stunning. It is situated at the base of Table Mountain flanked on both sides by Devil's Peak and Lion's Head, and the Atlantic on the front. The first part of the route took us through the downtown area which blended modern with Victorian and Dutch colonial architecture. Next we drove partway up Table Mountain which afforded great views of the city. After that, we drove over the ridge into Camps Bay for the most amazing views of the drive: the vast Atlantic, rocky mountain sides, turquoise blue beaches and quaint villages. The World Cup stadium featured a minimalst design which fit well with the city's natural beauty.

    First impressions: the city is absolutely gorgeous, likely the coolest scenery of any city we've visited.
    Read more