Satellite
  • Day 11

    Diving 3

    July 10, 2017, Red Sea ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    After an 11 hour trip through evening and night, we arrived at Deadalus reef. Wake up was at 630 for a 700 dive time. The goal of the dive was to see the hammerhead sharks which congregate around the island. The dive consists of dropping down to 90 ft along the coral wall and then swimming out into the deep blue to wait. Not just a little distance, but far enough so that the reef wall is only barely visible. The ocean floor is several hundred feet deep at this point. And then you wait, patiently scanning all directions for the shadow of a shark. We were unsuccessful on this dive, and after just over 30 mins in the blue, we returned to the wall to gradually shallow up. From afar, the reef wall looks grey and lifeless, but as one approaches, it comes to life as marine life movement and color start to appear.

    The second dive of the day had been a good one the entire trip, and this one didn't disappoint either. Shortly after dropping down to 100 ft, we spotted a hammerhead, and soon several others joined and circled below us. It was surreal to watch the hammerheads for nearly 15 minutes, swimming slowly around us and sometimes playfully turning on their sides. In total, we saw 5 different sharks at once, and everyone was elated upon surfacing.

    The third dive wasn't quite as exciting as the second, but we still spotted a grey reef shark and a hammerhead in the distance. Even when there isn't much to see in the blue, there's still the pretty wall on the ascent.
    Read more