Satellite
  • Day 8

    Venice - nearly..

    June 17, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Stats: 105.6 km, 110 m elevation gained, 745.7 km from the start.

    GPS track: https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=1830…

    We enjoy our breakfast in the hotel and start into the day with a little bit of heartache since it is the last day of cycling. Another long, but very flat section lays ahead of us. We are lucky with the direction of wind and the first kilometers are fast and easy. After 55 km the first break. It is 12.35, we are thirsty, need some shade to cool down and are more than happy when we finally reach a supermarket in one of the villages. What we didn't know was the schedule of Italian siesta: 12.30 to 4 p.m. No chance to get anything. Fortunately the bakery is still open. Unffortunately they charge us a ridiculous amount of money for two bottles of water and some cookies.
    As we are approaching Venice, the roads become busier and we see more cars with foreign license plates. We stop again in Lido de Jesolo to buy some food for the evening at one of the shopping centers but find this crowded area rather ugly. Good to get away from here soon. There is a nice cycleway between Laguna Veneta and the river. No cars and few other people. At the end of this Viaa Christo Re we have to cross a floodgate, but it's closed as there are some boats passing. While we wait for it to open again we meet Piedro. He is on a day trip from his hometown to Venice. Like us he loves travelling by bicycle and we have a good time talking about our experiences and future trips. We ride together to the Punta Sabbioni ferry station. Unfortunatly the next ferry is a small one and they do not allow us to take the bicycles on board. Thus we have to wait another 30 minutes for the next boat. Thanks to tha chat with Piedro the time is passing by quickly. At the Lido ferry station we say goodbye to him, as he has to continue to the train station.
    We go to meet our AirBnB host and leave our stuff in the accommodation. The interior of the flat, the furniture and decoration looks as if his grandparents were living there. I'm wondering if I will find the dead grandma if I open the closets. The most expensive accommodation during this trip is also the least tasteful.
    The outside is not so much better I think. We go for a walk along the beach - which is at least free of other tourists at this time of the day. But the seemingly never ending lines of beach chairs and little huts in three, four or five rows give us an idea of what it looks like here during the day. I wonder why people spend their holidays like this. I wouldn't last an hour in this place. Anyway, everything here is extremely touristy and after a week on the bicycle, most of the time in remote places, it is weird to be here.
    I hope than Venice itself can somehow compensate my disappointment from today.
    Read more