Satellite
  • Day 17

    Karanac, Croatia

    May 16, 2018 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    From mountains and rolling hills we transitioned to the fertile plains of northeastern Croatia. The verdent countryside filled with acres and acres of feed corn, sugar beets, potatoes, wheat and much more are broken by quaint, small villages and welcoming people.

    We were welcomed to a working farm with bed and breakfast style accommodations. Seems everywhere we go here we are greeted with trays filled with shots of home made plum brandy; strong stuff! Freshly made donuts filled with homemade strawberry jam were part of a very warm welcome as well

    We assisted in the making of soft cheese to be served with our breakfast tomorrow before heading out for another dinner hosted by a local family. Great food, more plum brandy and fellowship. All slept well inspite of, our perhaps because of, all the farm sounds.

    After a hearty breakfast we participated in a pottery making class presented by a local artisan. Later we walked about the village and stopped briefly to help a local chef prep food, a local special stew (Cobanac)with Hungarian paprika, onions, beef and lamb and "secret ingredients " (Hungary's influence is strong here due to proximity)for our lunch. Then we were off to a winery to taste wines made from locally grown grapes.

    The winery looked like a California estate transplanted into this rural village. The wines we tasted were suprisingly good and very inexpensive. We bought a bottle for ourselves and the wine maker's family sent us off with three to share with lunch. Lunch was fantastic! In spite of walking 3-5 miles a,day I'm certaim we are gaining weight. I personally think we're on a Hobit diet: breakfast followed by second breakfast 2 hours later then 2 hours later, eleveses, the lunch with afternoon tea, dinner and supper. And always plum brandy (Slibowitz) and "živjeli!" Croatian toast.

    After lunch we departed for Zagreb.
    Read more