Satellite
  • Day 1

    Training: Paekakariki return test walk

    June 2, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    This morning I donned my potential Camino gear including half my expected weight in the backpack. I said "YES, LET'S" to an appealing, pleading Doglette. I'm not sure if she realises that she and I have nearly ALWAYS to hangout together now .....oh, barring that two months of desertion while I am in Europe. How will i manage? Her? She's just a dog! 😍😍😍

    We headed along the beach with walking poles, walking pilgrim-style to the next seaside town Paekakariki - in Maori "perching place of the kakariki (green parrot)".

    A glorious walking day with a delighted canine companion who was appropriately attentive when she needed to be.

    After our two and a half hour walk, we wandered into the quirky little cafe in the village and ordered coffee and their crusty ham roll ( ...so yummy)...perfect Camino timing and " comida para desayuno"

    Then I texted D who drove down the highway to join us briefly. He inquired if either of us needed a ride home or whether he could transport my backpack??? Thank you, but no thank you 😶😶👉🐕💃

    After gathering up both backpack and Doglette, and kissing the man, we retraced our steps with the wind at our backs this time.

    We watched a hardy soul having a midwinter swim, chatted to someone who was also intrigued by his madness....she had found a perfect scallop shell on the beach...a Camino symbol...we don't have scallops locally...note to self "must look out for one for my pack".

    I shed my shoes part-way home and paddled...noticed a minor blister that is good to know about....wore those wonderful ugly crocs down the hill to home. I loved having all I needed on my back... my backpack and choice of gear performed admirably.

    Just a five hour round trip without any hills but it felt like an invigorating good day. DONE 🤗🤗🤗
    Read more