Satellite
  • Day 65

    Six weeks to go.

    August 5, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 5 °C

    Departure feels both too soon and too far away ..how can that be? A blink away there was nine weeks!! I haven't even posted over the last few weeks. .Oh that I could just get started. It feels as if there are too many uncertainties....the weather September to November...hot early on? ...cold? Since I can't carry much, I want to get it right. Lots of self-doubt operating here and questions too. Am I fit enough? Certain about that...I'm not!

    I was somewhat reassured, recently reading about a woman who has been training for a year walking 20 plus kilometres six days a week. And a couple who rise at 6am every day and walk until 4pm with breakfast and lunch breaks and have been doing this for several months. Both of these first time pilgrims are starting their Camino like me in September! 🤤🤤🤤 That just seems ridiculous to me and I know that's not the way I want to approach my Camino.

    So me? Well I know I have reasonable functional fitness for my age. I regularly spend hours in the garden...heavy gardening toil. I do enjoy walking and walk regularly with my dog. Hills?? Hills are not my strong point. I get there slowly. I cut back on too much walking and climbing some months back because sciatic pain suggested overuse. I've started yoga stretches and aqua aerobics to keep that balance.

    Psychologically, I am able to persevere until a task is completed....with short rest spells and stern self talk. I'm excited...nervous...committed to this special time for me

    My gear? My pack feels comfortable....haven't trained much with it yet but the fit is good and I will manage a longish weekly walk over the next six week. I reckon I can keep the pack under 5kg and the new shoes seem good too.

    Enough already...It will be fine on the day...step-by-step.

    Six weeks and two days I am on the plane to Paris...just me!! Ready or not.
    Read more