Satellite
  • Day 7

    Good bye Pelion and hello Skiathos

    June 7, 2022 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    The day started early, so after a stormy night Alisa could also finally see the sunrise 🌅.
    We took off to Volos port where we departed to Skiathos island by ferry. It was quite special as Elijas had been waiting for the ferry moment since the start of the trip. To my astonishment, he was not so thrilled about the Greek landscape, small islands and islets popping up from different corners, instead he wanted to stay INSIDE the boat and explore it fully. And he did until he found a mini playground where the kids stayed most of the trip while their mother was enjoying the changing landscape…
    When we arrived we still had a few hours to “waste” until we could check in at Villa Karina, so we decided to have a mini road trip around the island (which is not so big to begin with). We learned only later that the busses do not go to parts of the island and the why is the crazy narrow, steep, winding and unpaved roads!!! Our rented car could barely make it up the hill and we were very stressed not to meet anyone coming from the front, as there was no easy solution there. Drama aside, the panorama was stunning and if not the deadly roads I would wish to return for a proper photo session (which we could not do coz the kids fell asleep at that moment).
    After the mini tour we stopped to eat. We happened to enter Skiathos city by car, big mistake, which we managed to correct and park a bit outside the car (same problem as mentioned above + too many pedestrians).

    We were not very impressed by the lunch with a few dead cockroaches in the toilets, but maybe it was because we deliberately avoided the main walking street with noticeably elevated prices (we are smart after 6 days of travel 🧭)..anyway, we ate well, the kids were entertained with 7 (!) homeless cats around the restaurant’s terrace and they also could eat spaghetti which they enjoyed very much after days of suvlaki and french fries…

    The hotel and its closest (sandy) beach was the afternoons programme with a ‘home-made’ build-it-yourself Cretan sandwiches for dinner (recipe taught by my dear Cretan friend Minos). Could not ask for more!
    Read more