Satellite
  • Day 7

    Day 7 (am) - Bryce Canyon 'Splorin

    September 17, 2021 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 8 °C

    We awoke this morning at 6.30am determined to see the sunrise in Bryce Canyon. As we drove into the park, the night sky was replaced with the soft pink and blue hues of dawn. It was a chilly 3 degrees, quite a contrast to the 43 degree days we'd experienced a little closer to Las Vegas. We were glad for the warmer clothes we'd brought, as we layered up and set off up the short, steep hike to Inspiration Point to watch the sunrise.

    The view from the top did not disappoint. The gentle warmth of the rising sun illuminated the hoodoos and set them aflame. It was a photographer's paradise and I didn't want to leave! Nomes and Bek kindly let me stay while they went down to Bryce City to fetch hot coffees.

    After consuming our coffees and donning our hiking gear, we set off to walk the Navajo Loop Trail. This 1.3 mile hike drops right into the canyon beneath the towering hoodoos that dwarfed us, (and provided so many photo opportunities that it took us much longer than 30 minutes to reach the canyon floor!)

    We passed Thor's Hammer, the park's most famous rock formation (seriously impressive) and Two Bridges, a pair of small water carved arches. We met so many friendly fellow-hikers and exchanged tales on where we had been, where we were going and what we'd recommend. The return loop of the hike took us up via "Wall Street" a narrow canyon which features 100ft walls which block most of the sunlight, keeping it cool and revealing only a sliver of sky above. Towering between the walls are Douglas Fir trees, some of which are 750 years old! We welcomed the shade as we climbed 30 steep switchbacks which led to the rim.

    By the time we reached the top, we were in a small race against time to get back to our airbnb Yurt and pack up before checkout. Team work makes the dream work, and we were out only 15 minutes late. We enjoyed a leisurely lunch stop at Ruby's Motel & RV park, where we also made use of their laundry and hot showers - delightful after two days of camping! This afternoon promises tocbe an adventure too as we head into the more remote Grand Staircase regions, stay tuned!
    - Cilla
    Read more