Satellite
  • Day 14

    Day 14 - Route 66 into California

    September 24, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    After our spontaneous Route 66 Motel stay in Seligman we felt refreshed and ready to explore this part of 'America's Mother Road'. Brekky was had at the quintessential Roadrunner Cafe, which was also filled with Route 66 emblazoned knick knacks. We were happy to drive out (after blasting 'Life is a Highway' again and the rest of the 'Cars' soundtrack). We cruised Route 66, passing cactus trees, places where the road is often covered by flood waters during spring and many rundown old buildings. We detoured many times along the way, looking for Starbucks cups Cilla is collecting, getting coffee, taking photos... embracing the old/small town America.

    We decided to detour through Oatman, apparently the inspiration for many 'Cars' stories and characters. To get there we took the 'Arizona Sidewinder', a section of route 66 that snakes across steep cliffs, around cacti-studded hills and through dry valleys. It was a pretty speccy road. Not far from Oatman we slowly round a sharp corner and come face-to-bumper with 2 donkeys! Mama and baby have honed the art of begging and they nose their adorable faces right up to the car windows, snuffling expectantly. We find our last apple, take some pictures and enjoy the company of these unexpected furry friends for a good while before continuing.

    Oatman is to Route 66 what Las Vegas is to the US. Gaudy, touristy, packed and commercialised, but with a little more rustic 'charm' (if such words can be used together!) We enjoy slowly cruising down the tiny main street, with its higgledy-piggledy array of 'wild west' themed diners, souvenir stores and museums (oh, and regularly interspersed with donkeys being fed by eager, nervous tourists). Onwards we go.

    We are headed to California today, staying with old friends at their family's beach house. Cilla and I split the 5.5 hour drive, but she shoulders the LA traffic burden. We arrive in Ventura at the Robinson family beach house after supper but still they all came out to greet us. We received the grand tour, soaked in the smell and sounds of the ocean right next to the patio and immediately feel so welcomed and at home. We're looking forward to spending some fellowship and fun time together here for the next few days, GW!

    - Nomes
    Read more