Satellite
  • Day 15

    Day 15 & 16 - California Chilling

    September 25, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    These 2 days felt like a mini vacation within a vacation. Picture a stunning ocean-front beach house (read mansion), lovely and hospitable Christadelphian hosts, no set schedule, a piano, paddleboards, coffee machine, family Bible readings, puzzles, palm trees, surf and sand. That's about the sum of it.

    We loved getting to know new people, making new friends and spending time reminiscing with old ones, having God at the centre, going to meeting, spending 3.5 hours doing nothing but puzzling and listening to music and Bible talks (me and Becky) and attending ecclesial mutual improvement classes (Cilla).

    On the Saturday afternoon we donned wetsuits and were kindly shown how to Paddleboard-surf the waves! They felt huge but probably were only 4-5 feet high max. Cilla and I successfully caught a few waves (sitting down) which was fun, and I even managed to stand up briefly and ride one in. The huge boards floated well but were a bit ungainly under newbie control. It was still a blast (despite getting dumped and supplied with a free saltwater sinus rinse a couple times!) Cilla and I decided to embrace our inner Aussie kid and took out some boogey boards (read 'body boards' you North Americans ;)). The waves were a little harder to catch on these (or we were just so out of practice haha), but we had fun anyway.

    Sunday we enjoyed attending meeting, singing hymns so loudly (and harmony with Cills.. The best) and going out for lunch with friends. So nice to catch up and be in a Christadelphian hall 'like old times'. Really thankful for this opportunity and blessing. After lunch we visited the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and museum, complete with an FBI exhibit and Air Force One (Boeing 707!). Incredible how much effort goes into moving one man around the country and world.

    Monday we had planned to go to Sequoia National Park (with the giant redwood trees) but unfortunately the park and surrounding area is on fire and it is closed. Hoping they're able to save the trees and a little sad we can't go as I was really looking forward to that. So instead we're soothing our disappointment by going to the Universal Studios theme park! Stay tuned for the fun in store.

    - Nomes
    Read more