Satellite
  • Day 203

    Volunteering at Taabar School

    March 19, 2019 in India ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    We spent three days volunteering at a school near the Jaipur railway station, with boys from ages 7-17, who have been rescued from working at factories. The school is also a shelter, where these kids can live while the NGO tries to find their parents. We split into two groups. Malcolm and Lara had one classroom with about 40 kids, and Geoff, Chloë and Dale had another classroom with about 30 kids, and we taught them basic English, and math. There was a wide range of knowledge of these two subjects; some kids could have a full on conversation with you, while some could only count to 10, or not even. Also, some of the kids could multiply and divide 10 digit numbers, while others were learning how to do equations as simple as 6+2, no matter the age. I made some simple games to help the boys remember the months of the year, body parts, days of the week, etc, and worked with them 1 on 1 (or 2 or 3 or 4 on 1) at the back of the room. It was fun to spend time with them, but also harder than I ever thought it would be. We weren’t allowed to take photos of the kids, but here are some of our host family, and the volunteer coordinators.
    -Chloë
    If you want to learn more about this project, here is a link: http://www.taabar.org/ghar-vapsi.php
    Read more