Satellite
  • Day 44

    Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka

    December 15, 2018 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Day 44 - 46

    Experienced our first Sri Lankan train ride today - not fully anticipating the resourcefulness of the locals & mad sprinting to the doors meant we were firmly left stood up for the first 3 hours of this ride. But got to meet some great locals as a result, Gamini Jayathunga - very generous with his snacks & great contacts as well as a local medical student.

    Now much wiser to these train tricks and with the help of some locals we were able to commadere 2 actual seats at Kandy - and later upgrade to door view seats for the final 4 hours of the journey. This meant amazing views & was defintely worth the occasional risk of losing both our legs to an overhanging wall or station platform!

    Top top - Utilising the toilet window allows for a great door hanging GoPro snap!

    Later arrived to the Laughing Leopard Hostel - great new place with perfect vibe even if the owner is 24 years old and a total G! We quickly & rather impulsively enlisted on a 12.30am departure to Adams Peak (a 2500m sacred climb) to watch sunrise with Max & Lilly, had intended to avoid more trekking so not sure how this happened!

    Trek was hard, after a bad start (driver hit a horse on route) we made a series of catastrophic wrong turns resulting in a frantic dash for sunrise up 5500 steps!!! We struggled. Hard. And now in danger of missing sunrise we scurried through the trees to the mountain edge and caught a great view - finishing the climb after about 6.30 - tough day. No more trekking - ever. That or I'm worried Limbster might leave me.

    Last day was a rest day, some great local Dosas and one too many Lion beers around the fire. Will long remember the pure crazy that are solo Finnish trekkers, totally nuts.
    Read more