Satellite
  • Day 14

    Darwin Friday and Saturday

    May 6, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    We spent a gorgeous evening at the Wharf, eating delicious oysters and Chilli 🌶 Mud crab. The whole experience was just magical and definitely a great memory. The evening breeze was a welcome visitor as were the many fish dancing around the jetty below us. Sipping on a crisp sav Blanc whilst watching various ships, boats and yachts of all shapes and sizes drift by. Awesome.

    The following day it was off to the Parap Markets and Nightcliff for their Seabreeze festival. Parap is famed mostly for its Laksa apparently, so when in Rome....extra Chilli = deliciousness. This tradition was recommended to us and they weren't wrong. The market itself is pretty small with many stall holders the same ones from Mindil beach. This town loves their markets so clearly the sellers do the rounds - there must be at least 4 -5 different markets going on in varied places around Darwin in any given week.

    Seabreeze was a chance to sit back for the afternoon and watch the community showcase of local music. There were lots of other activities further up the beach strip but I'm afraid the humidity got to me today so after finding a shady spot there was no chance I was going to lose it! Performers were mostly school bands etc and there were some really talented kids who I think we'll be seeing on The Voice or Australian Idol in a few year's time.

    Our last observation for the day - and one of the reasons we ❤️ Darwin, is the relaxed attitude to pretty much everything including parking. Markets and festivals notwithstanding, Darwinians are happy to park their vehicles anywhere they can. This includes median strips, footpaths, grasses verges etc. Very civilised I say, keeping the roadways clear. Councils in Adelaide could learn a thing or two about "going with the flow".
    Read more