Satellite
  • Day 53

    Broome

    June 14, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Had a great time here - it's an interesting town, industrial yet reliant on tourism for sure. Of course Cable Beach packs them in, so the shire doesn't actually need to try too hard to attract visitors. This is reflected in their exhorbitant park fees! Luckily we'd heard on the grapevine of a cheap place in the industrial area and spent a week on a worksite in a huge shed. Absolutely perfect, not pretty but very clean with power, shower and toilet. A sociable setting with the other campers there and run by a really nice bloke who couldn't do enough for us including providing us with frozen mango from his own orchard. Unfortunately the council shut him down while we were there; not surprising of course but annoying just the same. Again, luckily we were on our last day anyway when told the news.

    Broome held a number of attractions for us. We caught up with Murray & Ron who are travelling the same road albeit much faster, so it was great timing to be meeting in Broome where we shared a few beers, dinners and sunsets!

    We spent a great deal of time choosing Rosie's pearl, an exercise in fast footwork, research and dedication to the mission that was truly rewarded when she found "the one". They say that the pearl finds you and that is so accurate it's spooky; also expensive. It was an incredibly special journey that included a trip to a pearl farm to learn a bit more before committing. Worth every moment! ❤️

    Cable Beach was an entirely awesome sight - the powdery white sand is devastatingly beautiful when paired with THAT water. Apparently it's the limestone in the area that gives this stretch of Indian Ocean its glorious azure tone. The coconuts, the sunsets, the camels, the hippies and the surprisingly freezing water all create a mood peculiar to this wonderful piece of heaven - you just need to tilt your face to the sun, breathe in deep and smile.

    Witnessing the natural phenomenon known as
    "Staircase to the Moon" was our other highlight. 🌝Sadly we didn't have the tripod so no photos of our own except what the smartphone could produce but to watch this huge orange moon slowly emerge over Roebuck Bay was just a magical thing. As the moon rises, the beams hit the sand flats left behind from the outgoing tide, creating a "staircase" effect. I've never seen anything so serenely beautiful. Shame about having to share it with five hundred randoms all jabbering and flashing away.

    Thank you Broome for some wonderful memories. We now prepare to leave The Kimberley region, an area we absolutely love. Onto The Pilbara region for a whole new set of adventures!
    Read more