Satellite
  • Day 49

    Berlin - Arrival

    September 18, 2015 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Arrived in Berlin, and tried to sort out a SIM card (my UK Three SIM works in every country I'm visiting except Germany and The Netherlands >.<). Turns out the best SIM cards for data/roaming are sold from Aldi supermarket chains.

    Oh yeah, the Berlin Hauptbahnhof (main train station) is very impressive: big, clean, and compact, packed with shops around the sides.

    I didn't have time to get a SIM because I was already running late to get to my accommodation - this time a more BnB style private apartment, where the owner was actually waiting for me to arrive so she could give me the key and information.

    I quickly worked out the Berlin public transit system (very straightforward and efficient) and headed for the apartment. Transit is mostly trust-based, so no barriers/checking except for getting on buses and apparently lurking plain-clothes ticket inspectors (I never saw any).

    The apartment was nice (outside photo stolen from Google as I forgot to take one), but had no WiFi(!!!), which, compounded with my lack of phone internet access, and being the only one there, made it feel very isolating all of a sudden. Especially after being at hostels. Also, it had the German sit-down-to-pee sign on the toilet - it's a real thing after all!
    Read more