Satellite
  • Day 65

    Surfing with Sarah

    February 3, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    Lovely fresh morning today! So nice temperature!
    I got up at 8 am to have the time for a nice and calm breakfast before it was time to leave for my surf lesson.
    The meeting point is just a street away so I didn’t need to drive somewhere far away.
    9.30 am I was supposed to meet my coach Nico at Roberts Road Carpark.
    I was there a little bit too early but he was right on time!

    The first thing to do was to sign a paper and pay and then I went back to the house to pick up a wetsuit and a board for me.
    I got changed and then we went to the beach.

    He explained to me, what I gonna need to do to get up on the board and how to stand on it right.
    We made some test runs on the beach but after only a few minutes he said, ok that’s enough let’s go into the water, you gonna learn it better there!

    That was the start of 2 hours of intense training!
    I was actually standing up already on my second wave!
    That was amazing!!

    I don’t know how many times I failed and went for a swim, it was a lot but I also was standing up many times and got a nice ride to the beach.
    The waves today are really good, according to Nico!
    Clear waves and if waves! Not the best condition for a beginner normally but he was helping me a lot so I felt confident all the time!
    He knew which waves to take and which waves better not to take.
    He put me up on a lot of unbroken waves as well, what was pretty cool!
    Some of the waves were around 1,20m, most of them around 1m what is really much!

    After two amazing hours, a super clean nose and way too much salt water in my stomach it was sadly time to finish my lesson. But I finished with a perfect ride on a perfect wave all the way down to the beach 🤗🏄🏻‍♀️

    That was definitely not my last time on a surfboard! Good that I go to Australia next, where I can keep on practicing!!

    After the lesson, we went back to the carpark. I took a shower there to get the saltwater of my skin and then it was time to leave hot Gissy and travel north!

    Oh yeah, it’s really hot today, again. 🥵
    I didn’t realize it on the water but it’s hot! Around 35 degrees I heard later!

    I drove for around one and a half hours until I got quite hungry and stopped beside a river for a Picknick in the shadow!
    Read more