Satellite
  • Day 196

    Gibraltar

    October 28, 2017 in Gibraltar ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    So we are now on the Rock, after leaving Rota we travelled 40 miles to Barbate for the night then 40 miles to Gibraltar on both days it started well then the wind picked up and was on the nose, but good news I wasn't actually ill although I did feel a bit rough. The scenery travelling from Barbate to Gibraltar was more interesting than it's been for a while, there are hills now it's been fairly flat since Albufeira, and we could be much closer in as no longer shoals within 2 miles of the shore. This is the first time we have had to moor up Mediterranean style and it was a lot less painful than we expected even going in stern too, we didn't hit anything which surprised us, but getting a new bow thruster should make this manoeuvre easier. We have had a quick wander around Main Street and saw an M&S, Debenhams, Mothercare and Morrisons as well as some typical pub names The Rock Arms, O'Reillys etc. We will be proper tourists tomorrow but don't worry we will be careful of the monkeys.
    On the way to Gibraltar you pass Tarifa a place that we have read has the highest suicide rate in Europe and apparently 360 out of 365 days of high winds, it was certainly blowing when we went past, the African coast was only about 8 miles away. We fueled up in Gib on our way to the Marina cost GBP45.9p/l but we did have to watch out for the plane landing next door.
    Read more