Satellite
  • Day 450

    Preveza

    July 9, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Our first night in a marina in Greece, well sort of we are actually on what they call the Town Quay it has elec and water but only costs E14 a night. We have filled up with water and are charging everything up and may even, if it gets a little cooler do some hoovering. I have been using the ‘ it’s really not worth putting the generator on just so I can hover excuse’ for a while now. Luckily a friendly German helped us to moor up as this was our first stern too with the anchor but we did a lot better than the catamaran that came in after us that had 4 guys and their wives on board, admittedly the wives all stayed inside well out of the way while the men stuffed things up on their own even with both John and the helpful German assisting.
    Since I last posted we have spent 2more nights at anchor, the first in Parga where although we tried to go ashore in the dinghy the swell caused by the high winds made it impossible, well impossible without getting soaked. The second night we spent in Two Rock Bay which was only about 10 miles south of Parga but as the swell was horrible and I had had a lousy nights sleep a short trip was called for. Two Rock was much quieter only 6 boats not 13 and no jet boats and ringos or waterskiing. The reason I, well both of us really, had a bad nights sleep was the wedding party that was in the beach bar/restaurant off our stern with speakers pointing offshore so as not to upset their neighbours. Initially we thought it wouldn’t be too bad as after the fireworks there was DJ music not too loud and recognisable for the most part, but at midnight the volume went up and a Greek guy started warbling, hat off to him he kept going for 3hours, but really some of us wanted to sleep! I was hoping to spend another night there under calmer and quieter circumstances but the swell when we woke was rolling in so we headed off to find somewhere calmer. We very nearly came unstuck when John assumed, you know the joke, that we should go south about the rocks in the bay to get to the anchorage and got to the point where there was no spare depth under the keel but all’s well that ends well.
    We have dropped off a load of washing and will be returning there later as they also have hot showers for E2 a time, our last proper shower was in Gallipoli, though in our defence we do rinse off the salt every night and have tried to wash our hair with our fish friendly shampoo every couple of days but it doesn’t lather or seem to be able to cope the salt build up very well. But it’s salty hair or poison the fish so salty it is!
    Read more