Satellite
  • Day 488

    Ormos Thoriko 1Nm North of Laviron

    August 16, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    It’s been a while sorry, but not much to report. After our day trip we spent 2more nights in Port Cheli waiting for winds to ease, we did more supermarket shopping and bought a copy of the Daily Mail exciting eh! then continued around the Peloponnese coast. We spent a night in Ermioni a smallish town built in a small sheltered bay within a much larger bay. The town had grown and was now on both sides of an undeveloped headland. The next night we were in Poros Town on Poros island still in the Peloponnese but now on north coast opposite Athens. It was much busier but the channel between the island and mainland was long so lots of space to anchor. Here we got our Transit log stamped again by the this time friendly Port Police who wanted to know why we didn’t have the original crew list I explained that the port police in Port Cheli had insisted that they had to have it and received a very Gaelic shrug in response. I had prepared another one that John as captain had signed and we had a copy of the original so it was all OK. We also liked Poros and had thought to perhaps spend another night there mooching the winding streets of the town perched on the hill but more wind is approaching so thought we should head for pastures new while we could/before it arrived. Poros has a beautiful clock tower and sea front, which yes was busy with people having coffee shopping and eating but was also felt relaxed and easygoing. Then a night in the south of Aigina island before crossing to here on the mainland. I think I have already said but we decided to visit Athens and a couple of other places on our way back north when things might be cooler and less busy. We ended up trying a couple of bays on south of Aigina before deciding on Ormos Klima because the first choice which which was 2 bays further east had a lot of swell, the next one coming back west seemed OK, there was a beach bar/cafe and initially this played nice easy listening music but around 5pm we noticed cars leaving and motorbikes and scooters arriving coupled with an increase in volume and a change in genre to club/garage music 🎶Time to go! One more bay east, literally just around the headland and no noise a couple of houses, well villas really, one of them even had a sparkling purple helicopter in the garden I was going to take a photograph in the morning but it left before we did. We watched 3 other boats making a hash of going stern to on the rocks on the side of the bay, they all got there eventually but were not sure why they didn’t just anchor, who knows. We were settled and in the water snorkelling and they were still looking for the best place tie up.
    We did have a bit of an Oops 😬 moment today when as we were coming in to anchor for lunch I heard a very loud CRUNCH/BANG and dashed topside, where John calmly said ‘don’t worry just a rock’. Apparently he couldn’t really see the plotter/depth sounder as sun was reflecting off it so merrily steered us over an obstruction! After anchoring we went to inspect the damage, luckily we are just missing a bit of anti foul there’s no real damage. The good news news is that while snorkelling I came across a bit of chain, this isn’t unusual but normally the chain is attached to a bobber as a permanent albeit summer mooring. However at one end of the chain I found a Danforth anchor and at the other nothing! So we scavenged and now have anchor and about 40m of 6mm galvanised chain sat on our dive platform, no idea what we will do with it it’s too small for us!
    Here are some photos for those of you who can’t be bothered with the words.
    Read more